Pages

Q&A with Rylyn Juliano (Cassie)

Over the course of our A Chorus Line tour, Rylyn Juliano has taken a role that many actors twice her age find incredibly challenging and made it look altogether effortless. But that doesn’t mean it has been! As the past-her-prime dancer Cassie Ferguson, Rylyn carried more than her fair share of the show’s dramatic weight but also had the task of pulling the behemoth dance solo in “The Music and the Mirror” out of her back pocket every day (sometimes twice!). Read on to find out how she conditioned herself for these responsibilities and how her Cassie changed since the tour’s premiere.

Name

Rylyn Juliano

Role

Cassie

Describe your favorite song / scene / moment in A Chorus Line.

I would have to say my favorite song in the entire show has, and always will be, “At the Ballet.” I have always loved that song and remember listening to it and dancing around my family room to it when I was really little. It is just so beautiful.

Cassie must be a very challenging role to play… dramatically, vocally and physically. What part of playing her did you find the most challenging?

I think all aspects of the character have presented their own challenges. Dramatically: being able to keep the moments fresh and the scenes in the moment, finding new thoughts and feelings for the character has been something I have truly enjoyed and will miss exploring. Vocally: pacing myself knowing when it is okay to go out and have fun with the cast and when it is most important to conserve for the show. And Physically: Getting off that bus and having the ethic to work out, warm up and do the show. These are all life lessons that I have been so fortunate to learn while being on tour. So invaluable!

How did your Cassie evolve over the course of the tour?

The dance became my own while staying within the Bennett technique. It has been so wonderful to find new thoughts and feelings to fuel the intention of the dance. Also my relationship with Zach has become so much more than I could have ever imagined. Being on stage with Ryan every night and being able to trust one another the way we do is, professionally, a real treat and I feel so fortunate to have gone through everything I have with him right there beside me.


What was the funniest thing that happened to you on or offstage on the tour?

Too many... but if I had to pick one it would be when Frank (David Glenwright) slid on his new shoes and did a full on baseball slide into his groups of four in the opening. Don and I could barely keep it together!

Which was your favorite stop on the tour and why?

The entire West Coast. It was my first time out there and I fell in love! It was not too bad calling home in January and hearing about the snow storms of upstate NY while lounging by the pool with the cast! Also, one of my very best friends moved out there and I was able to spend a bunch of time with her! So beautiful and I cannot wait to get back there!

Name one item you could not have lived without while on the road.

My iPhone, and all that goes with it! NY Times app, Pandora Radio and of course the Around Me app to get me to the closest Starbucks!

If you could go back in time and catch any Broadway show what would it be and why?

Honestly I would LOVE to be able to see A Chorus Line. It is so iconic and it would be amazing to see the original cast, especially after working with Baayork.

What is your favorite showtune and why?

“Send in the Clowns”… I finally saw A Little Night Music right before rehearsals and seeing Bernadette Peters perform this song was something I will never forget. She is terrific and truly inspiring.

What are the top five most listened to songs on your iPod?

Okay…
“Dog Days are Over” - Florence and the Machine
“Out of My League” - Stephen Speaks
“Love Me Do” - The Beatles
“Little Secrets” - Passion Pit
“Don’t Stop the Music” - Jamie Cullum

Do you have any pop culture guilty pleasures?

Pretty Little Liars. Get into it!!!!!

The world is dying to know… what are your plans for after A Chorus Line?

Moving back to NY!!! I will be spending the summer catching up with friends and family and teaching at my Mom’s dance studio for her Summer Season. And of course, AUDITIONING!

No comments:

Post a Comment