Pages

It’s the final week of U.S. performances on the A Chorus Line tour! We at the On the Line blog wanted to take this opportunity to flood you, dear reader, with a week’s worth of brand new cast member entries. First up is the incomparable Netanel Bellaishe, our ever fearless dance captain who you may more immediately recognize as Larry, Zach’s dutiful assistant. The show doesn’t give you very many opportunities to get to know Larry… and we wanted to rectify that issue. Read on to learn about Netanel’s favorite moments in the show and what makes his Larry tick.

Name

Netanel Bellaishe

Role

Larry

Describe your favorite song / scene / moment in A Chorus Line.

I think I’d have to say my favorite moment in the show is the Cassie scene / dance. Honestly Cassie would have to be my dream role in this show, funny enough. The character of Cassie and I share a common truth about the stage. This urge to be on it as a platform of giving yourself to the audience.
I always say one’s purpose in life is invested in others. Cassie discovers that the hard way. Failing to become a “star” admitting she is but a dancer. Just wishes for a chance to dance for someone. In other words, to be given the privilege to give. That about sums up why I’m in the business.

Larry is the one featured player in A Chorus Line who is integral to the plot, yet the audience does not get to learn a lot about. What about your Larry would readers be surprised to know?

My Larry has big plans to accomplish. Being Zach’s right hand is highly appreciated by Larry, however he sees himself as no less of a choreographer and a director than Zach. Larry’s intentions are to help Zach put on this show and then start his own company. He also feels like his career as a performer is not over yet. As I said, Larry has big plans… He is just waiting for the right moment. 

You have to keep the company on its toes night after night as dance captain. There are several varieties of dance demonstrated throughout the show. Which style comes most naturally to the cast and which ones require a little extra upkeep?

“Naturally” is a very tricky word when dealing with dance captaining :) The hard task is to allow the space for the “self” of every dancer within the tight boundaries of the choreography. To answer the question, I would say the classical ballet parts of the show, both in the opening and in the song “At the Ballet,” are the easiest to maintain, for classical ballet is very specific already and a trained dancer is aware of those by default. On top of those ballet specifics come the Bennett specifics, mainly in upper body, whereas the opening for example is pure Bennett style head to toe which makes it harder to maintain.

What was the funniest thing that happened to you on or offstage on the tour?

Well here’s a tale that was not funny at the time but is very funny looking back. Santa Barbara, a day on the beach with Suzanna, Gaspare, Jessi and I. Jessi decides to go for a walk on the beach alone, leaving her stuff with us. So far so normal right? Well, 2 hours pass, the sun is coming down, we start to get hungry and realize there is no sign of Jessi! Her cell phone, wallet, shoes, all left with us. After a quick search on the shore, we decide to leave a note in her shoes with Suzanna’s phone number, hoping she’ll get to it before someone else does, and went about grabbing a bite. All quite worried, we had about four margaritas, start to walk back to the beach and are now very worried as Jessi finally calls saying, “Hey guys! I lost track of time! It wasn’t till the sun came down that I realized I’d been away for a long time!”

How do you not realize you’ve been gone for 3 hours?!?!?

Ho well that’s part of Jessi’s charm :)

Which was your favorite stop on the tour and why?

San Francisco! While spending 3 days off in San Fran, I just had the greatest time mostly with me, myself and I. I took ballet classes at a dance studio right by the hotel every day, I saw The Rock with a few cast members, I took the shuttle to Sausalito, saw the Golden Gate, had an $80 meal in an amazing Italian restaurant, spoke to locals and more... Loved every moment! 

Name one item you could not have lived without while on the road.

My Israeli Turkish Coffee! Tour life made me really flexible, but one thing I couldn’t adjust to is the American coffee!!! So I traveled with 20 packs of ground Turkish coffee made in Israel, an electric kettle and my unique coffee glass from Israel, wrapped inside a traveling mug :) Some things you just can’t change :)

If you could go back in time and catch any Broadway show what would it be and why?

Pal Joey! Gene Kelly’s debut. Everything that man ever did is sheer perfection in my eyes. When he danced it was a glorious affirmation of everything that it means to be alive! Gene and I spent a lot of quality time on the tour bus. I believed I watched most of his films several times, and I look up to him in many ways.

What is your favorite showtune and why? 

“What I Did for Love” would have to be it. I do have a strong connection to what the song is saying, being an aging dancer ;) However the real reason is that during the show, come this song, I am in the quick change room with Gaspare and Ryan, and I enjoy singing along an octave above into Gaspare’s ear and watch him get annoyed every time! While Ryan helps me with some harmonies :))
 
What are the top five most listened to songs on your iPod?

1. The recording of my voice lesson that I vocalize with every day 2. The recording I did of our musicians Sean (flute) and Clair (trombone) of a Hebrew Israeli musical song called “There’s a Place
3,4,5. My ballet class music playlist that I warm up to every day. Fascinating I know! :)

Do you have any pop culture guilty pleasures?

I proudly admit I do not! I’m old school... very :)

The world is dying to know… what are your plans for after A Chorus Line?

Save the world, of course! And apart from that go visit my family in Israel that I haven’t seen in a year! I try not to plan beyond that. I trust my destiny to reveal itself to me at the right moment. I go where I’m needed most. May the Force be with us all!!! ;))))

No comments:

Post a Comment