Pages

Q&A with Erica Cenci (Bebe)

We round out our week of rapid-fire ACL cast Q&As by chatting with Erica Cenci. Erica, who plays the wide-eyed Bebe on the line, is feeling the hometown love at the moment. As a native Jersey girl, she has the distinct pleasure of wrapping up her time with the show by playing Newark, NJ. As soon as you finish reading what Erica’s favorite moments on the tour have been and what got her into dance in the first place, run (don’t walk) to NJPAC because there are only 4 more chances to see A Chorus Line before it heads to Japan!

Name

Erica Cenci

Role

Bebe Benzenheimer

Describe your favorite song / scene / moment in A Chorus Line.

My favorite part of the show is the name section, when every person gets a chance to step forward and introduce themselves to Zach. It’s the first moment you get to see each of the characters as individuals and how they are doing that day: some are nervous, some are excited, some are brand new to auditioning, some are not, etc.

In the show, Bebe shares with Zach the experiences in her past that inspired her to dance. What inspired you in your younger years to want to dance / perform?

I always had a very active imagination and dancing proved to be an easy outlet for my creativity. It didn’t hurt that at the end of the year I got to play dress up and put on a pretty costume!

How does it feel to be finishing up the tour in your home state?!

It is an amazing feeling! I was able to reach out to a lot of my friends, family and teachers and invite them to come see what I’ve been a part of this year. While it will be nerve wracking, I can’t help but feel like I have some sort of home field advantage… NJ audiences are the best!


What was the funniest thing that happened to you on or offstage on the tour?

We took a group trip to a haunted house in Ohio around Halloween and our bus driver Wayne came along. He knew how easily scared I am and kept telling the monsters and creepers inside the haunted house to say my name and bother me. Needless to say, I’ve never been so scared in my life! Clearly I wasn’t laughing at the time, but now I can look at the pictures of that night and laugh.

Which was your favorite stop on the tour and why?

Beaver Creek, Colorado. It was only for one night, and we had almost no time to walk around, but it was winter and we stayed very close to the ski slopes! I love to ski and had never been to Colorado, so I was in heaven! The theatre was beautiful and in the middle of a very ritzy ski resort. I really didn’t want to get back on the bus the next morning!

Name one item you could not have lived without while on the road.

My copy of The New Yorker! I loved still feeling somewhat connected to New York and without it the bus rides would have been unbearable!

If you could go back in time and catch any Broadway show what would it be and why?

Gypsy with Ethel Merman. Listening to her voice on CD is one thing, but I would love to experience her power in person.

What is your favorite show tune and why?

This question is too hard to answer! I would have to say I have different favorite songs based on my moods. When I am testy and worked up I love listening to something with a driving beat and fast lyrics, say Next to Normal. But when I am happy and loving life I prefer something with tight harmonies and beautiful melodies, say Sunday in the Park with George.

What are the top five most listened to songs on your iPod?

“Nobody’s Home” - Avril Lavigne, “Accidentally in Love” - Counting Crows, “Better Off” - Ashley Simpson (I clearly need help!), “Things to Come” - Martin Sexton, “Breakaway” - Kelly Clarkson

Do you have any pop culture guilty pleasures?

Wedding reality shows and food reality shows. I become immovable; impossibly glued to my TV.

The world is dying to know… what are your plans for after A Chorus Line?

BROADWAY! Just kidding… I will spend time settling into my new apartment in NYC and getting back into dance class.

No comments:

Post a Comment