Pages

Q&A with Suzanna Dupree

We at the On the Line blog felt things have been a little heavy on the guys lately. Accordingly, we felt like you out there in cyberland needed to hear from another of our lovely female cast members… not just any gal but the alpha-female, one Ms. Sheila Bryant played with spunk and sass every night by the charming Suzanna Dupree. It’s takes a lot of grace to pull off Sheila’s true grit (as she explains below) and a good sense of humor at that to ad lib through some of the stage’s more… unexpected mishaps.
Name

Suzanna Dupree

Role

Sheila Bryant

Describe your favorite song / scene / moment in A Chorus Line.

My favorite moment?? Hmm... I think I’ll have to go with the charge line at the end of the opening number, also known as “the audition.” The amount of determination present in every character is overwhelming and I get excited to meet all of the other characters on stage with me all over again. I get excited to see what the others will bring to the table each night and I like learning the stories, past trials and tribulations of these people I am sharing the stage with and how their paths of life differ from mine. Of course, I always love cracking those sassy Sheila jokes on the line every night with Bobby (Hardy Weaver). We try to change it up to keep it interesting!

Sheila is known primarily as a sassy gal, but there are many shades to her character. What is something interesting about her that you have learned in playing her?

Sassy, yes! She does love to throw out a zinger whenever possible. However, I’ve learned that there is a fine line between playing her as a jaded has-been versus a vulnerable person who has been through a lot in her lifetime and uses humor as an escape from the harsh reality that the longevity of her career as a dancer is slowly dwindling. I truly love getting to play such a multi-faceted character every night, I feel so lucky!

What is the funniest thing that has happened to you on or offstage on the tour?

Oh god, I’m still so embarrassed and scarred to this day from this moment. A few weeks ago in Phoenix in the middle of my scene with Zach, I start with my hair up in a bun and then he asks me to “let it down.” Weeeelllllllllll, that proved to be an impossible task this particular evening! I normally have a few measures of music and my line “that’s what I’ve been trying to do.” After numerous tries of trying to untangle it from my curls, I proceeded to yank it, hoping I could just lose a few chunks of hair in the process but still successfully take it OUT of my hair. No such luck. Finally realizing that the rubber band wasn’t going to budge, and hearing everybody else on the line cracking up (thanks again, guys) I resigned myself to leaving it in my hair for the rest of the time I was onstage, just tucked under the rest of my hair. Luckily it was a blonde rubber band!!

Which past tour stop has been your favorite thus far and why?

Every stop in California has been a dream, but if I had to pick just one, I think it’d be Santa Barbara. I mean, State Street shopping, the beach and 75-degree weather. Need I say more??


Suzanna Dupree as Sheila in A CHORUS LINE
Photo by Phil Martin

Name one item you can’t live without while on the road.

PANDORA on my iPod! I swear to you I truly could not live without it! And if you’re looking for a good station, try the Bruno Mars station. It will change your life, I promise!

What is your favorite Broadway show and why?

I have always been terrible at answering this question. Although my answer will probably be different tomorrow, today my answer is Promises, Promises. Partly because I just got the soundtrack from a friend so it’s fresh on my brain, and partly because I have a littttlleeee inside joke with some friends back in NY involving this show…

What is your dream role to play and why?

AH!! Another tough one. Honestly, I’d LOVE to play Inga in Young Frankenstein because she gets to dance, sing and act. Charity in Sweet Charity is up there too! Any triple threat role would be a dream come true for me!

What are the top five most listened to songs on your iPod?

1. “Just the Way You Are” – Bruno Mars
2. “The Story” – Brandi Carlile (download it, NOW!)
3. “Hold My Hand” – Duet with Michael Jackson & Akon
4. “Haven’t Met You Yet” - Michael Buble
5. “Glitter In the Air” - Pink

Do you have any pop culture guilty pleasures?

I have to say, spending hours upon hours on the bus has made me even more addicted to Facebook and Twitter than I ever thought possible. I think after tour, I might need to take a little hiatus from both of them to feel sane again!!

If you had to pick just one, would you describe yourself as peripatetic, poetic or chic? Why?

Well, chic, of course. Did you even have to ask?? ;);)

No comments:

Post a Comment