Pages

Q&A with Matthew Couvillon

Rocking denim is hard to do. Matthew Couvillon, who plays Tom Tucker in A CHORUS LINE, should know. As one of the “cut” dancers who does not make it past Zach’s initial audition round, the jeans-clad Tom never gets to share with the audience just how much talent he has. However, the On the Line Blog knows it to be true that Couvillon himself is a fiercely talented dancer who covers several demanding tracks including the athletic Mike and dance captain extraordinaire Larry. Matthew takes a moment to fill out our cast questionnaire below!



Name:
Matthew Couvillon

Role:

Tom Tucker

Describe your favorite song / scene / moment in A Chorus Line.

My favorite moment in the show would have to be Montage 4. The choreography during this section is the most fun because it allows you to truly live in the moment while grasping the style and period of the show.

As one of the cut dancers you get the opportunity to play multiple roles in the show from night to night if one of the principals is out. What is it like keeping multiple tracks straight in your head and who is / would be your favorite role to go on for?

After a rigorous rehearsal process in NYC, months of watching the show and a brief put-in rehearsal I have reached a point where keeping the tracks straight is rather simple. Having gone on for my first covers Mike and Larry many times I must say that my favorite track to cover is Larry.

Tom Tucker has some pretty impressive taste in panstwear… Jeans! What is Tom’s favorite brand of denim, what is your favorite brand of denim and will Tom Tucker be able to single handedly bring blue jeans back?

Tom Tucker is truly the trendsetter of A Chorus Line. When he arrives at the audition he is sporting the latest style of knock-off Levis, a pair of stone washed flare leg denim. He completes his fashion forward look with a raglan sleeve sweatshirt, wide black leather Penguin belt, blue low top Converse and do not forget the small camel hand bag he carries as his dance bag. My favorite brand of denim would also have to be Levis but I try to stay away from the knock-offs!! I do not think that denim ever went out of style, but Tom Tucker is doing a great job at keeping this all-American fashion staple at the forefront of the audition circuit.

Which past tour stop has been your favorite thus far and why?

Palm Desert!!! Between the beautiful theatre, warm weather, great hotel, swimming pool and free breakfast, it was hands down my favorite tour stop.


Matthew Couvillon as Tom Tucker in A CHORUS LINE
Photo by Phil Martin
Name one item you can’t live without while on the road.

This experience would be impossible without my tour friends. And they know who they are!!

What is your favorite Broadway show and why? What is dream role to play and why?

It’s hard to say what my favorite Broadway show would be. But I would have to choose a classic musical with large ensembles and big production numbers. In turn, this is the type of musical I would love to be a part of.

What are the top five most listened to songs on your iPod?

Believe it or not but I do not listen to my iPod very much. While on the bus and during my free time I watch TV episodes. Thus far on tour I have been enjoying Dexter, Will and Grace and Sex and the City. Outdated...maybe, but very much enjoyable!!

Do you have any pop culture guilty pleasures?

I don’t know if it is considered a pop culture guilty pleasure but a definite guilty pleasure for me would have be trash reality television. For some reason I find it very relaxing and I love watching an episode or two after a long work day!

If you had to pick just one, would you describe yourself as peripatetic, poetic or chic? Why?

Chic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment