Pages

Q&A with Emily Rice

We shine our first cast spotlight today on the lovely Emily Rice, holding down the fort as the shimmy-tastic Vicki Vickers every night in A CHORUS LINE. Read below to learn what her favorite moments in the show are as well as how to have a good time with the local firemen if you’re ever stranded in Charleston SC!

Name

Emily Rice

Role

Vicki Vickers

Describe your favorite song / scene / moment in A Chorus Line.

I love the drums during Greg's monologue/solo before the 4th montage!

My favorite song is "At The Ballet." I love the "Ballet Blaze" section of the choreography and the entire rainbow colored lighting!

I also love walking out in darkness and standing in the three lines just before the lights go up and the opening begins. It's fun to hear murmurs of excitement from the audience and to feel the energy among the cast members onstage.

I also love when Sheila says, "please, I've had three already today" in reference to the Valium during the alternatives scene.

Another favorite moment is when Diana Morales says, "Because I remember when I used to stand outside of that stage door and watch all of these girls come out of there with their eyelashes and their makeup, and I'd think, 'God, I’ll never be that old...'" That's kind of the way I feel about being in a national touring company. Am I really old enough to be doing this??

One of my favorite lyrics in the show is "the gift was ours to borrow" from the song "What I Did for Love." It reminds me that this show is a gift to share with the world and that we have borrowed it for the next four months to bring it to cities across the country.

What is the funniest thing that has happened to you on or offstage on the tour?

While exploring Charleston we met 2 firemen at the oldest fire station in the US who gave us a tour of the firehouse and even demonstrated sliding down the fireman pole!

Which past tour stop has been your favorite thus far and why?

Charleston, SC - We were in Charleston for two full days, which meant we actually had time to enjoy the beautiful weather, great food, and great shopping - it was such a charming and historic city! We took the city bus 20 minutes to the downtown area and found a bike rental store! We rode bikes through the streets and along the coast! We also met some very fun locals in the airport who gave us a driving tour and took us to the Dock Street Theatre, the oldest theatre in America!

Which upcoming tour city are you most looking forward to visiting and why?

Thousand Oaks, CA should be wonderful! Warmer weather, a one week sit down and I get to see two of my very good friends from college!

But I am most looking forward to February 25th! We will be in Charlottesville for a night at the John Paul Jones Arena and I get to stay with my second family and eat goldfish and drink grapefruit juice with one of my best buddies, Taylor Short!


Name one item you can’t live without while on the road.

My dog bed. A much preferred alternative to the cold, hard often wet from ice and snow bus floor! Makes the 10 hour bus rides significantly more comfortable!

What was the first Broadway show you ever saw?

Gypsy with Bernadette Peters.

What is your favorite Broadway show and why?

Gypsy. It has heart stirring music, fun characters, a well-written book and all the pizzazz and sparkle of old-school Broadway.

What are the top five most listened to songs on your iPod?

“Doubting Thomas” -Nickel Creek
“Simple Love” - Allison Krauss
“Till You're Gone” - Gabe Dixon Band
“Add To the Beauty” - Sarah Groves
“The Music that Makes Me Dance” - Judy Kuhn

Do you have any pop culture guilty pleasures?

Not really!

If you had to pick just one, would you describe yourself as peripatetic, poetic or chic? Why?

Peripatetic - we do quite a bit of traveling on this tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment